Saturday, March 20, 2010

Please, Take It...

When I noted that if someone commented that they liked one of my possessions, I'd give it to them, I didn't realize how difficult it would be...for the receiver.

Let me preface this by saying that what I gave away will not be the only thing I gift to someone this year. You'll understand why in a minute.

We were in class. The lights had been dimmed. I was shuffling through my purse, feeling for a writing instrument. My classmate was standing there and as I pulled out my pen, I could see her eyes widen. "Oh, that is so cool...a Woody Woodpecker pen!"

The light bulb went off...give it to her!

"Here you go...you can have it."

"I can't take your woody Woddpecker pen. Did I mention it is so cool?"

"Please, I'm not attached to it and I really want you to have it."

"I couldn't take your pen."

"Ummm, it's a pen. Please."

"I don't know."

"You like Woody Woodpecker, obviously. So, it would make me really happy if you would accept this PEN!"

Finally, she accepted it!

The beauty of this interaction was that a pen could brighten someone's day. So simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment