Friday, January 29, 2010

Feeding The Soul

My Nana had a wonderful sense of humor. When she would tell a funny story or joke, she'd punctuate every line with theatrical pauses or dramatic facial expressions. Then, when it was time for the punch line, she'd sing with laughter. Her face would turn red. She'd slap her hands on the table, instead of her lap, as her eyes welled with joyful tears. If her sisters ~ Katie, Virginia, or Bernice ~ happened to be in the same room, the laughter was amplified. A gaggle * of gigglers! You could hear the cackling throughout the house. It's the kind of laughter that makes other people join in, even if they haven't a clue as to what is so funny.

Whatever the gene is that steers people to view things in an amusing light and laugh uncontrollably - even at things that others might not find humorous (like ourselves) - I have it. Thank-you, God!

Over the last year or so, I've connected via facebook with family and friends from so many different times in my life...people I've known since childhood, as well as those who I met last month. And I'm blessed to count on both hands (Yes, I borrowed this line from Mr. Vedder) people who I interact with in and around my Colorado home. While everyone comes from different circumstances, the thing I've realized is that the people in my life - (maybe all people?) - are FUNNY! I'm so grateful for this! What a gift! Daily - sometimes hourly - I laugh, long and loud. And there are times when I'm able to bring the laughter forth in others. What a joy!

We are taught to love one another. And absolutely, we should.
But there is somethig else that lifts people up, heals broken hearts, bridges misunderstandings, creates peace of mind, feeds the soul...it's laughter.
So, I propose that we not only love one another, but we laugh with one another!

Here's to Nana! Cheers!


Word of the day ~
Gaggle ~ 1.  A group :
2. A flock, as in geese

3 comments:

  1. I remember being at that table many times over the years especially the Christmas morning she won the Powerball...Tell that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought this was so appropriate:
    ~ I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose. ~ Woody Allen
    My Mom "Virginia" and her sister's definitely had a way of making that happen through the year's with their laughter, ja, ja, .... They have touched our soul's and lip's with joy!

    ReplyDelete