Friday, January 8, 2010

It's All About Food

Last night, I claimed that today's focus would be on cleaning the house! It didn't work out that way. Instead, I made food, talked about food, and wrote about food. It never fails that when winter visits, I head to one of two places - the kitchen or the bedroom. My motto during the frigid months is, "Eat. Hibernate. Repeat."

Last night, I was craving cookies, but not just any cookie. The sweet I was yearning for is a magical one...a cookie that brings back fond memories and makes me smile. I needed Berger Cookies!

Unless you've eaten these, you probably aren't going to appreciate this portion of the post - at least not yet. If you're a Baltimorean, you get it! Reading, saying, or hearing those words, "Berger Cookies,"  causes immediate salivation.

For those unfamilier with this Maryland gem, let me enlighten you. A Berger Cookie has two parts. The base - the cookie itself - reminds me, in texture and size, of a scone. It's dense, yet crumbly. Some people say it's a white cookie, but I think it's more ecru* in color. The crowning glory of this baked treat is a massive, fudge-like layer of CHOCOLATE! OMG! I need a napkin to wipe the drool from the sides of my mouth!

If you want to take a peek at these goodies, go to the website, www.bergercookies.com. This takes me to the next story - the Berger Cookie website - which, in turn, addresses another resolution.

Today, a friend (Hi Mark!) suggested I Google the business, contact them, and find out if they'd ship some treats to Colorado. The company was easy to find (because Google rocks). As I perused the pages that told the story about the history of the cookie and the people who created it, I couldn't help notice all the errors - grammatical and spelling. What kept going through my mind was that here is this fantastic company whose website doesn't do them - or their product - justice.

So, I took it upon myself to do some editing. Granted, I'm not a professional editor. I make misstakes when i writ and especailly wen I type. However, I'm not a multi-million dollar business* trying to sell my product to the masses. I wanted to help. Plus, one of my resolutions is to write to a company and tell them what I think about their product.

I'm hoping  the higher-ups are so impressed with my suggestions and corrections that they send me a case of cookies. I pinky swear, I'll share!

I'll keep you posted on how this turns out.

While cyber-chatting with my facebook friends, I realized that by living in Colorado not only am I missing out on almost-immediate access to Berger Cookies, but also to Tastykake butterscotch krimpets and Old Bay seasoning. So deprived!

Tonight, I decided to knock out another resolution and blend my own salsa to eat with our dinner of soft tacos. It was easy! Jarred salsa can't touch the fresh taste of homemade.

In the blender, I added a package of organic grape tomaotes, some white onion, fresh cilantro, a couple tablespoons of garlic, and a few pinches of cumin and salt. Grate. Done. Yum!


Tomorrow, I'm taking the monkeys to The Lafayette Oatmeal Festival.
Yes, more food.

*ecru - a light tan color.
* I have no idea how much money the company generates. The assumption was used for impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment