Thursday, January 28, 2010

I Have Lots of Patches in the Sewing Kit

Elsa came to me, favorite pair of jeans in hand. She had taken a tumble and there was a small tear in the knee.
"Mom, please fix this."
"Ok, pumpkin pie. I'll stitch it up for you." (I said this with confidence, even though sewing is not my forte. Especially, sewing denim. Ouch.)
"You can put a cute patch on it. You aren't that good at sewing (Whew...off the hook! She knows me so well.) I like the ladybug that is in the sewing box."

Done.

Once the torn area had been addressed, she couldn't stop raving about the pants. They were so special to her...even more so now than before the damaged occurred.

The way Elsa feels about her jeans is the way I feel about relationshsips that have been ripped a little...even torn apart. People create relationships. And because we err, our relationships - at one time or another  - bear the brunt of our falls.

Throwing away a perfectly good pair of jeans isn't an option to me. Neither is throwing away a person who is one of my favorites. I value the relationships in my life, just as I appreciate the comfort of an old pair of jeans.
They're soft. They fit. They've walked through all sorts of experiences with me.  Frayed edges are always welcome.

Mending takes time and patience. It's done with love in my heart. And I always look forward to the end product...seeing something that at one time was so lovely, now renewed and revitalized.

No comments:

Post a Comment